Obesity prevention for individuals and families begins with healthier choices—balancing healthier nutrition and physical activity while managing daily stress. Eating too many calories contributes to weight gain, but so does watching too much TV and sitting for hours in front of computers.
The Delaware General Health District recommends these healthy lifestyle basics for all Delaware County families. If you’re already battling weight, pick one or two of these basics to start.
- Control portions
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and moderate amounts of whole grains
- Drink more water
- Use low-fat dairy products
- Reduce the daily amount of soft drinks and juices with added sugars
- Reduce the daily amount of high calorie, high fat, high sugar foods
- Limit TV and computer time—for children 2 hours or less per day; keep TVs out of bedrooms.
- Increase daily physical activity
- For child-bearing families, breastfeed exclusively to 6 months